Dec 10, 2013
Dear Friends of Moraga Canyon,
A critical public meeting on the restoration and future of Blair Park will be held by the Piedmont Park Commission this Thursday, December 12th at 5:30 p.m. at the Piedmont City Council Chambers. Please plan to attend and speak or submit comments in writing to the Park Commissioners by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
RDG, the landscape consulting firm retained by the City to prepare a plan for Blair Park, will present their schematic landscape proposal for review by the Park Commission and public comment. Although this is a “schematic design plan,” it includes all of the elements of the final plan.
WE BELIEVE THERE ARE SERIOUS ELEMENTS MISSING FROM THE PLAN THAT MUST BE ADDRESSED NOW!
- There is no reference to a pathway through the park, even though this is included as a design element in every contract document.
- The proposal recommends removal of all non-native trees and provides for a central meadow of native grasses. There is no plan or recommendation for any new trees.
- Removing ivy from the perimeter of remaining trees is proposed, but no recommendation for other invasive plants.
- Improvements to drainage and erosion at the west end of the park, where soggy conditions exist every winter, are proposed to be remedied merely with “subtle surface grading” and modest improvements at the storm overflow.
- No improvements are recommended for the two existing parking areas (2 spaces each), which would remain in their current dilapidated condition.
- The only new elements proposed for the park are a “gateway monument” with a potential planting area and “vehicular restrictions” to prohibit driving onto the park.
The intent of the Blair Park landscape improvement plan was to:
- ensure that the City takes care of deferred maintenance that has mounted over the past decade;
- restore and improve the natural habitat of the park to a level consistent with all other Piedmont parks.
Here are links to key information about the plan:
- RDG’s Schematic Design Plan
- Letter from the Blair Park Restoration and Preservation Committee to the Park Commission
- Detailed list of City Council approved minimum requirements for the landscape contract, with highlights indicating the items not included in the Schematic Design.
Your comments at the Park Commission meeting would be extremely beneficial. If you can’t attend, please submit comments in writing to the Park Commissioners by email to email@example.com.
As always, thank you for your continued interest and support of Blair Park. We must remain vigilant to ensure that our goals for restoring and improving the park are met!